Student Body Right... Student Body Wrong...  

Posted by Frazier

Ok. THAT'S more like it! A 5-0 week is exactly what I needed here. It appears that picking and not over-thinking is pretty much the way I function best. Now, there were plenty of things to be wrong about. But overall, I'm very pleased. Now on to business:

I was right about:

Picking games quickly and not thinking too much. Know thyself, Frazier.

I was wrong about:

George Selvie. I believe he actually has 14.5 tackles for loss in three games. Wow. Oh, and two of those games were against UNC and Auburn. Not exactly the best competition imaginable, but not a bunch of 1-AA cream puffs.

I was right about:

Penn St. folding against Michigan. Ugh. Classic game. I've watched a bunch of PSU this year and I knew that their offense was abysmal. Not a whole lot more needs to be said about Anthony Morigami (the incredible folding quarterback), but the run offense is only slightly less embarrassing. And the only running back who can making any kind of gains on the ground (Austin Scott) apparently greases his hands before the game.

I was wrong about:

It being a game about "strength vs. strength". Frankly, the PSU defense shut down Michigan's offense, and Mike Hart deserves a medal for his tremendous effort. The game was really a matter of weakness vs. weakness. An inept PSU offense committed a lethal turnover (thanks Morigami) which turned out to be the margin of victory for the Victors. The Michigan defense has been atrocious against a spread attack, with legit threats down the field. Fortunately for them, the Nittany Lions seemed content to throw mediocre running backs at a pile, and have their atrocious quarterback heave balls randomly around the field.

I was right about:

The LSU - S. Carolina game. The Gamecocks kept things close, mostly by playing solid defense (especially against the pass) and not making mistakes. Surrendering 70 pass yards was impressive. Basically, this was a very well-coached team playing a far superior team, and hanging around by not shooting themselves in the foot.

I was wrong about:

Arkansas pulling off the win. First, their defense is beyond terrible. It's not even worse discussing. As bad as they play, their schemes are getting them killed. Any team with a legit quarterback is going to take advantage of the constant gambling and make some big plays. Shouldn't they try to slow the game down, make the other team work, and try to win with their incredible running attack? Ugh.

I was right about:

The Georgia - Alabama game. I NAILED that one. I was barely off the final score (I predicted 20-17, and the game ended 20-20 in regulation). Alabama was unfocused, especially early, the Georgia defense kept the Tide in check most of the game and Matt Stafford made some big plays, especially the perfect game-winning pass.

I was wrong about:

McFadden, to some degree. He is a remarkable player. He's the best in the country, it isn't close. But he also has a sadistic coach trying to get him killed. He has an incredible back-up and he's still logging 30 carries/game, and returning kicks and playing some quarterback. As amazing as he is, he isn't a one-man team. No one is (not even Mike Hart, who is as close as it gets) and I should remember that. Football is a team game, no matter what we may believe.

I was right about:

Wisconsin being awful. The Badgers are a slipping receiver away from losing to Iowa. Frankly, they could have at least 2 losses by this point. They absolutely should have lost that Iowa game. Sadly, they could still win a miserable Big Ten.

I was wrong about:

Iowa pulling off the victory. The receiver falling down on a potentially game-winning play is emblematic of a team that has been out of step all season. With a great defense, and a gutsy quarterback, it appears that they should have something going on here. But, they can't quite put it all together for 60 minutes. As much as I love Ferentz, and I do, he needs to get his team on the same page.

I was right about:

Most of the lines this week. And I'm feeling pretty decent about some of my all-season predictions, but let's not jinx them, shall we?

0 comments

Post a Comment

The Team

How's the look?