Student Body Right... Student Body Wrong...  

Posted by Frazier

All apologies to 323 nation. I work in politics, and so election day is a pretty long one for me. I spent a comfortable 13 hours at various polling locations, and stayed up late watching various election results. Anyways, I had my first losing week last week, which royally pissed me off. Especially because I would probably make most of those picks again. Several of the games I got wrong were ones where I had stated concerns about the team I picked, and then didn't listen to myself. Although, there were a couple I just whiffed on. Anyways, on to the carnage.

I was right about:

The Tennessee-LSU game. Only multiple LSU turnovers kept this one as close as it was. They almost managed to underachieve again. Although they did make the Vols pay for every yard they picked up. Oh, and the big man is definitely more convinced by the Jamarcus Russell experience than I am. I'll take intangibles over arm strength all day, every day. (I do think Russell is a good leader, I also think he makes bad decisions with the football, which is a real problem.)

I was wrong about:

WVU. I talked about this a little the other day, so I won't get into details, but they definitely peaked at the wrong time. Their defense was porous, and they simply could not afford to turn the ball over. They shot themselves in the foot.

I was right about:

WVU shooting themselves in the foot sometime this year, and ruining their excellent shot at the title. However, I have to give Louisville credit to straight handing it to them in their enormous game.

I was wrong about:

Houston, and/or Tulsa. I was totally wrong to get off my dogs from earlier in the year, and Kolb and co. made me pay. Ugh, I totally out-smarted myself on this one. Although I was very impressed with the Houston defense holding Tulsa to only 10 points. Wow.

I was right about:

Nebraska-Mizzou. I am enjoying this whole Tigers thing. They start well, get overrated, and get lines that are far, far too close. Unfortunately, I think that this game finally exposed them as in over their heads. I am going to kind of miss betting against these guys. It's still a nice year for them, but I think the nation got a little ahead of themselves there. Oh, and Nebraska is still mediocre.

I was wrong about:

Texas. They played brilliantly on defense against a passing attack that has been cutting up Big 12 opponents. I was absolutely shocked at this one, since I thought the huge line was a gimme. Texas showed what happens when they feel their defensive pride has been insulted. You really don't want to wake these guys up. Of course, that doesn't mean that I have any desire to see them crushed in the national championship game. With the current state of the Big 12, their bowl game will like moving from AAA into the majors.

I was right about:

Arkansas. Both at the beginning of the year and last week. McFadden really needs to get more national love. If the Hogs keep winning he could be a Heisman darkhorse, and would earn a trip to New York, at least. What a great season. Of course, since Houston Nutt is prominently involved, anything could happen.

I was wrong about:

Wake Forest. They played an excellent game when everyone was expecting BC to take it to them. I was way off on this one.

I was right about:

BC blowing another game this year. I just had the wrong week. They are a confusing team to watch, since they look excellent and disciplined most of the time, and scattershot and unglued the next. Not entirely sure what they were trying to do offensively last week, but I do know that it failed.

I was wrong about:

The Miami-VT game. Just a total bonehead pick by me. There is no justification. Why I would pick a team that has literally quit on its' coach is beyond me. Seriously, this was a gimme. Their offense is beyond terrible, and they just don't care anymore. Everyone is out there trying to improve their draft status. Bad times at the U.

I was right about:

Clemson. What a bunch of choke-artists. Tommy Bowden is a terrible coach. He seems to revel in destroying the dreams of their fanbase. It's a yo-yo job every year in Death Valley. Honestly, I really enjoyed watching them lose last weekend. Just made me warm and tingly all over.

I was wrong about:

A&M keeping things close. Franchione decided to just punish Aggies fans this time. I never had any doubts about the outcome here, but I did expect Oklahoma to roll this team. The margin was very, very unexpected.

0 comments

Post a Comment

The Team

How's the look?