Student Body Right... Student Body Wrong...  

Posted by Frazier

Well, I pulled George Costanza on Friday and finally got a non-Saturday win. I simply went against all my instincts and laid a massive number of points on the road. Who knew? That win helped me to another winning weekend, although it was a close shave. On the other hand, sometimes you're more right about the ones you get right than the ones you get wrong. Always an adventure.

Yeah, all it took was to act like this guy to get a win.
Maybe I should have just been content being wrong.

I was right about:

Michigan handing it to Iowa. The Hawkeyes managed just 41 yards on the ground. Wow. That front seven has been incredible this year. Once again the Wolverines were paced by their defense. This time they simply chose to grind out the win.

I was wrong about:

I refuse to give that defense enough credit. Why I ever though Iowa was capable of putting up double digits is beyond me. Look at all my Michigan picks, I get the spread just about right, but I always overestimate how much anyone can score on them. And yet I keep hyping their defense. Odd.

I was right about:

The UConn-West Virginia game. I haven't been giving the Mountaineers enough credit, they have really been dominating people. Pat White was the difference maker this time.

I was wrong about:

The WVU defense had a much better outing than I expected. Their pass rush has really stepped up in the last few weeks after a frighteningly slow start. They are create pressure up front, and wreaked havoc in the backfield last week. They also jumped some routes and played an opportunistic, gambling style which makes them capable of extremely good, and extremely bad, performances.

I was right about:

Both Texas and Nebraska are pretty lousy. I don't understand where all this McCoy love is coming from. He barely held off a mediocre Nebraska squad. If not for a totally egregious turnover (one of the worst you'll ever see) Texas is lodged somewhere in the 20's at this point. Callahan will be hearing from the 323 later in the week for his clock management (or lack thereof).
I'm betting that this one can't be found on
Bill Callahan's bookshelf. Um, maybe he
should add it to the reading list.

I was wrong about:

At least Nebraska came to play, which they did not do against USC. I thought they'd completely roll over and die, but they really put up a fight. Both these teams stink though. They just do.

I was right about:

The Louisville game. They were in control throughout, but didn't put them away. They need to take some time and figure out what is going on, because WVU has looked hot as hell recently.

I was wrong about:

Totally dismissing Washington. Willingham has his guys playing hard, and they almost pulled the stunner against Cal. I think the Golden Bears need to lose this Jekyll and Hyde shit before they blow their season (again).

I was right about:

Alabama playing Tennessee close. Hey, Ainge, how are your 3 interceptions doing? Don't worry, he's beginning to revert to form. Just give him some time.

I was wrong about:

Clemson, probably. Either them or Georgia Tech. But I'm beginning to think that Tommy Bowden actually has a capable team this time. Of course that means they will turn around and start blowing games. But the way they dominated Calvin Johnson was absolutely shocking.

I was right about:

Notre Dame. They stink. Honestly, they are terrible. I couldn't possibly be more sick of them. The national media needs to get up off their knees. The Golden Domers are LUCKY to have avoided devastating losses to both UCLA and Michigan St. I don't care how uninspired USC has looked, if the Irish stroll into LA and play like that again they are going to get completely obliterated.

I was wrong about:

Rutgers. I was totally wrong about their alleged "showdown" with UConn. An excellent year by them is huge for WVU's or Louisville's national title hopes. Unles of course the Scarlet Knights beat them, which is beginning to seem like a distinct possibility.

I was right about:

Rutgers handling Wanny and company. And I still think Palko is a bum.

I was wrong about:

Oregon. They were a sham. Absolutely. The big man has me on this one. A bunch of bums.

I was right about:

Texas A&M. They weren't quite able to seal the deal and blow a game to hapless Oklahoma St. but they came damn close. A classic Franchione outing, but his team saved themselves in the final seconds. Don't worry, they have plenty of more chances to fall apart in big games.

I was wrong about:

Florida St. Yikes. I know I defended Bowden, and I stand by that, but they've lost a little swagger. ACC teams which for years found ways to lose to FSU teams that were underperforming are finally finding ways to win. I can't count the number of times that a Chris Rix or Wyatt Sexton led team found a way to beat an ACC opponent which had every reason to win the game. Now those teams are getting their revenge at the 'Noles expense. Still, I expect FSU to make someone's life miserable by the time the season enters the home stretch.

0 comments

Post a Comment

The Team

How's the look?