Week 10 Picks - Walter  

Posted by Walter

@ Alabama +7.5 over LSU

So word on the street is that LSU fans, in a brilliant yet dreadfully tactless move, will be mocking the legendary Bear Bryant by wearing purple and yellow houndstooth hats in the student section during this Saturday's tilt at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Given that the Tigers have been somewhat schizophrenic on offense and, more recently, on defense, you've got to wonder about the wisdom in tempting fate. Bryant, after all, pretty much made LSU his personal whipping boy racking up a .750 career win percentage against the Bayou Bengals. This may not be your father's Crimson Tide, but this isn't Nick Saban's LSU squad either. Enfuriated by the hats, the ghost of Bear Bryant has something to say about this one. Bama in a monster upset, 24-23 for $20.

Wisconsin +16.5 @ Ohio State

Wisconsin has been bad this year (losing 38-7 to Penn State comes to mind), but this team still has a load of talent, particularly on defense. I've got to believe that the Badgers will be up for this game, and will keep, what could still very well be, a mediocre Ohio State offense in check. Losing Luke Swann on offense has really hurt the Badgers, and if PJ Hill isn't 100% I'm not sure where the points will come from. But Wisconsin is still a team that, at least on paper, can match up with the Buckeyes at the point of attack. That should be enough to keep it close. Give me Wisconsin with the cover 30-17 for $15.

@ Oregon -7 over Arizona State

Look, I don't believe in Arizona State. Never have, probably never will. Oregon, on the other hand, has gone from doghouse (last year) to penthouse (this year) in my book. Jonathan Stewart is playing like the All American we knew he could be, and Dennis Dixson runs Chip Kelly's spread offense to perfection. Add in the fact that Rudy Carpenter is hurting, and that Ryan Torrain is banged up, and this has the makings for an Oregon route. In fact, that's what it'll be. The Ducks win big, 44-20 at Autzen for $32.

Wake Forest -1 @ Virginia

Well it all came crashing down for Virginia last week. They are a classic team that has built a reputation beating up on far inferior opponents. In fact, they were so good at this that we all forgot how badly they were dominated by Wyoming on opening weekend. On the other hand, Wake Forest has been rolling as of late. They've been playing some of the best football in the nation, and have one of the best up and coming backs in the ACC in Josh Adams. Sorry Frazier, but this one ain't gonna be close. Wake is too balanced for Virginia. Give me Wake with an easyish 28-20 victory on the road for $32.

Florida State +6.5 @ Boston College

Word is that this game will be played in hurricane like conditions. Since I'm going I checked the weather forecast and it was the first time I've ever seen a 100% chance of rain. Taking the weather into account, and my desire to not jinx my favorite team, I'll take the points and hope BC can pull it out. Give me BC 14-13 for $1 (I have a personal rule that I don't bet on the teams I love, BC and the Patriots, so even though this is "play" money I am gonna stick to my guns the best I can).

Last Week: 3-2

Season: 21-23-2

Winnings to Date: $115

0 comments

Post a Comment

The Team

How's the look?