Student Body Right... Student Body Wrong...  

Posted by Frazier

This is definitely a week to toot the horn. It's hard to do much better than a 7-0 Saturday against the spread. After a down week last time around, this was a redeeming effort. Now, in all fairness, I was a little off on how some of the games would be played. Still, I am damned proud of the record. However, at the 323 we will settle for nothing less than perfection, both in terms of picks and prognostications. So now we have to review what happened.

I was right about:

The Wisconsin game. Although the injury to Stocco made the game closer than I anticipated. Still, the running of Hill, and the competent game mangement of Donovan was enough for the Badgers to continue what has been an excellent, if overlooked season. They have some young talent, and a good young coach, keep an eye out for them next year too.

I was wrong about:

Texas A&M. They have been playing well recently, but haven't done quite enough. I still think that Franchione will always let his team down, but they refuse to go out without a fight, and you have to respect that.

I was right about:

Nebraska winning that game. That was a gimme. Not sure what A&M has actually done to be favored in that one.

I was wrong about:

Florida St. showing some fight. Yikes. Xavier Lee is obviously not the answer at quarterback. Jeff Bowden needs to go, since he is beyond terrible. I'm sorry Bobby, but Jeff is a complete disaster running that offense. Cut the cord.

I was right about:

The South Carolina game, and Florida being unable to take teams out. The Gators have been flirting with disaster all season, and only the heroics of Jarvis Moss could save them this time.

I was wrong about:

Auburn. Wow. Cox has abysmal against Georgia, and totally cost his team the game. Stafford has developed nicely, and is making plays with his legs as well as his arm to keep teams off-balance. As good a win as it was for Georgia, it was a much, much worse loss for Auburn.

I was right about:

Arkansas. They looked great against the Vols. Their rushing attack is fearsome, and using McFadden as a quarterback on the goal line has been a highly effective use of the talented sophomore.

I was wrong about:

Cal. Well, maybe I wasn't. I didn't think they would lose to Arizona, but I hadn't had seconds of the Kool-Aid like my esteemed co-blogger. Still, a stunning defeat.

I was right about:

The Notre Dame game. Hell, I was pretty damned close on the final score. Although the Domers started faster than I expected.

I was wrong about:

Texas' defense. This was the unit that was supposed to keep them in games even when their young quarterback struggled. Frankly, Devan Snead was more than adequate coming in cold for the injured Colt McCoy. It was the defense surrendering 45 points that made the difference. By playing undisciplined ball, they were fooled on consecutive trick plays in the third quarter.

I was right about:

The USC game. The Trojans scored in bunches and created turnovers, although they lost their share as well. Still, the Ducks were totally dominated in this one.

I was wrong about:

Really, not a whole lot of things this week. I don't feel like I was really way off on much. Like everyone else I was certainly surprised by some of the major upsets, but not TOO surprised. All the teams that lost had certainly shown some significant weaknesses in other games, and they were all beaten by teams that have been playing better lately, and have shown some defensive ability. Weekends like this are what make college football so much fun, and now it's going to be a mad dash towards the BCS championship game. Let the games begin!

0 comments

Post a Comment

The Team

How's the look?