Student Body Right... Student Body Wrong...  

Posted by Frazier

Ok, not as glorious as last week's effort, but another win in the books for your pal Frazier. Of course everyone was shocked at the Auburn score, and there was a lot of shaking going on all over the football spectrum. Thank god for the ever-reliable Joe T. to add some sense of stability to the proceedings. The big man and I had a bet about what his final stat line would look like. We both pretty much nailed the completion percentage, and I guessed exactly how many fumbles and picks he would be responsible for. Although I definitely short-changed him on the yards. I saw a Bulldog pull in a limp pass, and break a long run, and I knew that those forty yards would be the difference. Still, he is as terrible as terrible can be.

I was right about:

The Clemson-Wake game. The final score was about what I predicted, and the line was absolutely ludicrous. This one was the absolute lock of the week. Clemson has a ton more talent, and it eventually came through. But a solid gameplan and good execution kept the Deacs in the lead until a disastrous final quarter. More credit to Jim Grobe, he has a team of scrappers, and I love their heart.

I was wrong about:

Auburn. Yikes. Ugh. Disgusting. They were thoroughly man-handled. Darren McFadden cruised for almost 150 yards on the ground, and tore up the vaunted defense. Mustain was mistake-free, and Auburn got whipped at home. I was completely startled. It was also unsettling that they didn't start throwing the ball until it was too late. Not quite sure what Tubberville was thinking.

I was right about:

Arkansas. Wow, they grew up fast! After a terrible opening week, and a lack of impressive showings, they still looked a year away, and I was feeling that I'd jumped the gun with my preseason selection of the Hogs as a team to watch. Well, they really do have a ton of talent, and Nutt will get them to play a great game or two every year. Now he and his team both need to get more consistent. Still, probably the best win of the year so far. Unbelievable.

I was wrong about:

LSU. They got out-played on both sides of the ball by the Gators. Russell made too many mistakes, and their running game is pitiable. Their defense also failed to hold strong when they needed them to. While you can't be stunned by a Florida victory, they really made it look easy.

I was right about:

The USC-Washington game. Once again the Trojans led throughout, and escaped with a close victory. Their once comfortable lead, and command of the game almost slipped away, but a serious clock-management snafu scuttled the Huskies chances. Don't blame the officials on this one, Washington knew how much time was left, and it took a long time to wind that clock. They needed to be set with the play called the moment the ball was spotted. USC has trailed for all of 4 minutes this season, so it's hard to knock them, but they need to put teams away.

I was wrong about:

Florida. They played an excellent game, and really beat LSU everywhere on the field. It didn't help that the Tigers shot themselves in the foot (repeatedly). Still, credit where credit is due.

I was right about:

The Gators being soft. Running a wide receiver screen from a shotgun formation at your own 1 yard line is hardly the mark of a physical team. That play almost turned into 6 for LSU, and showed that the Gators need to get tougher. It's a bad sign when your backup quarterback is your fiercest runner.

I was wrong about:

Bad Michigan St. showed up on Saturday. Although they cover if they simply kick an extra point. Their desperate try for two, giving a chance for a miracle comeback, fell short. Still, I didn't think it would come to that. Whatever, it was a coin flip and I guessed wrong. I hate you John L. Smith.

I was right about:

The Texas game. Just had a bad feeling about that one. Texas won more easily than I would have normally expected, but I kind of knew it was going to happen. Still not entirely sure why.

I was wrong about:

The Longhorns, especially their defense. Peterson had over a hundred yards, but had to lug it 25 times, and was kept from winning the game for the Sooners. They looked fast and physical. Also, Colt McCoy looked solid. Still don't know what to make of them.

I was right about:

Georgia. Especially Joe T. He was abysmal against the Vols. Also, their defense was totally and utterly exposed. Yikes. I was right about them from the very beginning, and now I get to wallow in their terribleness. They suck.

I was wrong about:

The final score of that game. Holy shit was there some scoring! It's still unclear if Tenn. is that good, or Georgia is that bad. I'm still not ready to change my mind about Ainge, but I may have to give him another chance. There is still plenty of time to prove my suspicions correct.

I was right about:

Getting to ignore West Virginia for awhile. Wait, they played Saturday?

I was wrong about:

Oregon, obviously. They got lit up. Just goes to show that the football gods were angry. Also, that Arizona St. might actually be terrible. Cal absolutely shredded the Ducks. Dixon made the mistakes he's been avoiding all year, and this team got wood-shedded. A brutal loss. Let's see if Bellotti can keep this team on track.

I was right about:

Florida St. Thanks for making my overrated teams look legit. They are out of the Top 25, and it's about damn time. They are terrible. Not quite sure what's going on down in Bowden Country.

I was wrong about:

Houston. Losing to Louisiana-Lafayette is pretty low. They looked poised to break through, and then a bad loss like this one. They needed to rebound quickly after a disappointing loss against Miami, and failed too. Kolb would be hard pressed to have a better game, but he needed some help Saturday, and his team didn't deliver.

I was right about:

The Hawaii game. Loads of offense. I had it called Hawaii beating the spread 45-34, but it ended up being a push at 41-34. Still, it's hard to feel bad about that kind of close call, especially being so damned close on the final score. Nice to pick outside the BCS box from time to time.

0 comments

Post a Comment

The Team

How's the look?