Student Body Right... Student Body Wrong...  

Posted by Frazier

Even the lederhosen crowd knows
that I was on point last week.

Well, another week where I got more right than I got wrong. So I'm feeling pretty good. One of my losses was the Thursday night tilt when I am less than useless. The other game I picked wrong was NC State, which was basically just me being a bonehead. Anyways, I'm tooting the horn some more, since it was a pretty good week. Now on to the highlights:

I was right about:

The Ohio St. game. Which isn't really anything to brag about. The Spartans are terrible. Plain and simple.

I was wrong about:

The NC State game. Really, I knew better. You have Grobe, who is consistent and points his team in position to excel. Then you have Chuck Chuck who seems to spend more time working on his pecs than he does getting his team prepared to play disciplined football. Once again, coaching is the difference. A classic Wolfpack performance, or lack thereof.

I was right about:

The USC game. They refuse to blow anyone out, and this time really shot themselves in the foot. Yet, they sprang to an early 21-point lead, and never trailed. That might fly against the Sun Devils, but legitimate competition will make them pay.

I was wrong about:

The Cal defense, they looked excellent again in allowing only three points to a Cougars team which had shown some offensive life. A suffocating performance.

I was right about:

Texas A&M. Look, Franchione got them ranked, as he will every year. Are you prepared for their let-down loss? It's coming in the next week or so. Mizzou pretty much blew this game, but credit to the Aggies for smacking them in the mouth, and a hustle play that saved a touchdown and provided the winning margin. The Aggies stink, but they'll have a win or two like this every year. It's like Groundhog Day down in College Station.

I will drive this car off a cliff before I buy the Franchione hype!
(Again!)

I was wrong about:

The amount of scoring in the Michigan-Penn St. game. Two excellent defenses, and one completely clueless offense (Penn St.). The Wolverines seemed content to stand pat on 17 points, and their play-calling became more and more conservative as the game went along. Initially I thought the injury to Morelli wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but he proved that he really is the starter for that team. Which is not good news for the denizens of Happy Valley.

I was right about:

Georgia. Wow! Even I didn't think Joe T. was THIS terrible! First loss to Vandy in over a dozen years. The Commodores had been completely hopeless against ranked teams for like a decade until the Bulldogs showed their true colors, again. Keep in mind, Georgia even had a defensive touchdown. Joe T. was completely shut down by the Vandy defense and had to be replaced. Yikes!

I was wrong about:

Iowa. I love Ferentz, I really do. But his teams have a history of underachieving. I am beginning to wonder if he is destined to be that second tier coach. Beamer is already laminating his membership card. So remember, Kirk, stop losing to teams like Indiana. Oh, and Drew Tate, pull your head out of your ass.

I was right about:

The Auburn victory. Yep, they hit the Gators in the mouth. Yep, they won. By pressuring Chris Leak they forced him into a couple of crucial turnovers late in the game. Their defense really came alive in the second half, and simply destroyed Florida at the point of attack. By putting big nasties in Leak's face they caused him to completely unravel, and their opportunistic defense pounced. Also, Florida might want to take some extra time and work on their punting game. They have had a block deep in their territory in each of the last two games. You aren't going anywhere by making critical mistakes like that too often.

I was wrong about:

Louisville destroying Cincinatti. Really a surprising final. Brohm looked pretty good in his first start back, and his stats were impressive, but the offense failed to find its' rhythm, and the game was in doubt until the final seconds. The Cardinals are lucky that Brohm will have another week to get his timing back, and the offense firing on all cylinders before they showdown with WVU.

I was right about:

Cal covering. They are playing as well as anyone in the country right now. Their opening loss is looking more and more like an anomaly, but one which could prevent them from contending for a title. They need USC to win all their other games, and maybe some outside help to get to the big game.

I was wrong about:

Miami. They really showed some fight against Florida International. (Seriously, Coker should be fired immediately. His team is a bunch of thugs, and he has no control over them. If Miami doesn't do something immediately, the NCAA should step in. The Canes should be embarrassed that they have sunk so low that they find themselves fighting a pathetic team like FIU.)

I was right about:

Well, I could use this space to continue pimping Boise St. but their bandwagon is getting a little big these days, and I'm getting nervous. They failed to put New Mexico St. away, and got some terrible calls in their favor to help them pull away. Instead I'll just remind everyone that I've been warning people about Joe T. since he was named the Georgia starter. Frankly, I will use any excuse to bury the guy.

Ok, this is basically what I'm doing to Joe T. these days.
But any Bulldog fan will tell you he deserves it, and more.

0 comments

Post a Comment

The Team

How's the look?