Quick Picks....  

Posted by Frazier

Last week was another solid outing for me, so I'm probably due for a letdown. Still, I pick 'em, they play 'em. We have another non-Saturday game, so feel free to ignore my selection in the UConn-WVU tilt. This week is "Big East Love" weekend. While the Big East has been totally ignored this season, there are several teams playing some real ball this year. So we're shining the spotlight on this overlooked conference. Let's see how they play.

Texas -8 AT Nebraska

I still don't think that the Longhorns are necessarily any good, but I'm pretty much positive that Nebraska is secretly lousy. I have a feeling that they will once again play not to lose, meaning that they will. This is the biggest game left for Texas, and I think they come out big. Nebraska just hasn't shown enough fire. Texas extinguishes them, 30-14.

Florida St. -4 vs. BC

The Seminoles NEED this game. As I said in the mailbag, I have a feeling that BC has a couple of losses in them, especially when things are looking brightest. Also, the injury to Ryan is real cause for concern. Back-up quarterbacks are going to struggle in at the 'Noles backyard. Even if Ryan plays, his lack of mobility could be costly if FSU can fire up the pass rush. Bowden's boys are in dire straits, and playing for pride. They restore a little of it, 24-13.


Michigan -13 vs. Iowa

Wow, this is definitely a game I wouldn't want to put real money on. That's a lot of points to give a well-coached Hawkeyes team. However, the Michigan front seven is going to give Drew Tate fits, smack him in the mouth, and force him into bad decisions (like he made against Ohio St.). My only question is whether the Wolverines will score enough points. They have so much confidence in their defense that they totally went into a shell against PSU last week after getting a 14 point lead. But they are playing in the Big House, and there is also the potential for short fields, or defensive points. Also, they will want to put on a show. I think they do just that, 31-13.

Alabama +11 AT Tennessee

Once again, it's just a LOT of points. And I'm still not entirely sold on this Vols team. They confuse me a little, and have played some games closer than they should have. Alabama is due for a game that gets them some national respect. They are the proverbial "tough out" and this game is no different. Tennessee wins, but not by enough, 27-17.

Georgia Tech +7 AT Clemson

The Jackets still aren't getting any love. It's another big spread on the road, and last time they completely took it to Virginia Tech in this situation. This game is no different. Clemson has suffered some real defensive injuries, and Calvin Johnson is one of the best players in the country. Ball makes some plays, and finds his favorite target. Also, the Jackets defense has been tough this year, and held the potent ND attack to only 14 points. The spread is way too high, but it doesn't even matter. Georgia Tech pulls the upset, 24-20.

Rutgers +6.5 AT Pitt

It's officially Big East time at the 323. We'll start off with the Scarlet Knights, who have been getting absolutely zero love this year. I'm sorry, but any team that LOST to Michigan St. shouldn't be favored by this much over an undefeated team. Rutgers is on a mission this year, and only one of these teams is coached by The Moustached One. If Rutgers loses, they aren't going down without a fight. They keep the dream alive, barely, 21-20.

West Virginia -23 AT UConn

Wow, I can't believing I'm laying so many points on the road. An absolutely stunning decision by me. Also, since is the Friday game, obviously the wrong one. But I can't get over one little piece of information. UConn gave up 464 rushing yards to Navy AT HOME, and are ranked 105th in the country in run defense. I mean, I can't get over it. This spread is fucking immense, but WVU makes a statement in this one, 45-20.

Syracuse +17.5 vs. Louisville

I think that Louisville will be ok in this one. But the Carrier Dome can be a tricky place to play, and Robinson really is a competent defensive coach. Louisville is focused on their next game, and so they don't run away with this one. I can also see the 'Cuse scoring late garbage points even if they fall behind early. It's just a ton of points, and I can't pass it up. The Cardinals keep rolling, but Syracuse covers, 37-21.

Last week: 6-2
Season: 20-11-1

1 comments

You were almost dead-on with WVU... Won by 26 points, but wow, good estimate!

Post a Comment

The Team

How's the look?