More on BC?  

Posted by Frazier

I thought I'd moved past this BC debacle. I was pretty sure it was all out of my system. Then I read this article on ESPN, and it all comes back.

No one is saying the Coach Spaz isn't a good guy. Hell, no one is saying that he's not a great d-coordinator. The issue is that now he's a head coach, for absolutely no good reason. It's downright disturbing to read DeFilippo talking about how close he and Spaz are. It almost seems like he fired Jagz because they weren't good buddies. I mean, that's what all the bitching and moaning about "loyalty" was really all about. It was a giant "you hurt me, man" from someone who is supposed to have BOSTON COLLEGE'S best interests in mind. Not his own.

So now the AD has his best buddy coaching the team. Spaz hasn't changed in the two years since he lost out to Jagz, but BC's priorities apparently have. Now they'd rather have a lesser coach, who is more "loyal" and also friendlier with the AD than necessarily win football games.

It's also a sort of insult to the current crop of BC students. The article talks about BC's blue-collar roots, but it's changed a lot in the last couple of decades. I'm not sure Spaz necessarily represents the realities of the university. Tons of rich kids from the Boston and New York suburbs populate the campus. And those Irish and Italian blue collar families are another generation removed from the tennaments. They're more likely to be your podiatrist than your butcher.

Spaz is a throwback in another sense as well. He's a throwback to when mediocrity in college football was the accepted practice at BC. I'm sure this generation of students, and fans, will be thrilled to know that they can be part of that rich tradition.

0 comments

Post a Comment

The Team

How's the look?