Posted by Walter
Sorry folks I just can't wait. I could dive into a lengthy examination of Ohio State's stinker last night, but it would basically be a cut and paste job from last year's title game. Instead, I can't resist looking ahead to 2008.
Early Top 10 for 2008
1) Georgia – Everyone back, and a full season of Knowshon make the Dawgs the team to beat….I told you so!
2) Oklahoma – If Auston English and Curtis Lofton come back the Sooners will be loaded, if Malcolm Kelly comes back they’ll be unstoppable.
3) USC – The talent is there to be #1 overall, but it’d be wrong to assume Mustain or Sanchez will just step into Booty’s shoes and be as good.
4) Florida – The most talented offense in the country will get even better with the addition of USC transfer and former star recruit Emmanuel Moody…..now about that defense.
5) Missouri – Chase Daniel might be the Heisman favorite, especially with pal Jeremy Maclin back, but this team will be really good if their defense plays as well as it did against Arkansas.
6) LSU – Offense should be national title caliber, even with losing Flynn and Hester, but defense will need to reload with new talent and a new coordinator.
7) Auburn – Gone is steady Brandon Cox, but enter future superstar Kody Burns and perhaps the best returning defense in the nation.
8) Ohio State – After two straight blowouts in the national title game, it’ll be interesting to see how many future NFLers stick around Columbus. Laurinaitis, Jenkins and Gholston are as good as gone, if guys like Boone, Robiskie and Freeman follow drop the Buckeyes out of the top 10.
9) West Virginia – Move them up a notch if Steve Slaton moves on to the NFL since it’ll mean more carries for their MVP Pat White, and more touches for superstar in waiting Noel Devine.
10) Texas Tech – Not the best choice, but with Harrell, Crabtree and the rest of the offense returning, if the Raiders don’t break through in 2008 they may never.
Keep an eye on……
Michigan – if Rodriguez can get Pryor and keep McGuffie, we may be looking at Slaton/White redux
South Carolina – when Spurrier’s team was healthy they were one of the best in the nation, they’ll have all offseason to heal
Michigan State – if Devin Thomas comes back, I dare you to find a better trio than he, Ringer, and Hoyer
Central Michigan – if you haven’t seen the Dan Lefavour led Chippewas, you are missing out on the newest mid major darling
Boston College – Ryan and Callender will be hard to replace, but the defense will be nasty and Jags works wonders with QB’s
Don’t buy the hype………
Illinois – it’s Ron Zook for goodness sake, a 7-5 backslide is inevitable
Wisconsin – same old team, same old story
Clemson – see Wisconsin
Just another year or two away……..
Colorado – Dan Hawkins will make them a power again in the mediocre Big 12 North
Pittsburgh – talent is there, they just need to dump Wanny
UCLA – Rick Neuheisel is the perfect man for the job; think Pete Carroll at USC perfect