Student Body Right.... Student Body Wrong...  

Posted by Frazier

Wow. Maybe I should just leave out the "right" part today. This weekend was a debacle of epic proportions for your buddy Frazier. The only good part is that I didn't love any of these games enough to make real wagers. But that doesn't matter to 323 nation, who expect better things than a feeble 0-5 record. I promise, next week will be better (I mean, it would be impossible for it to be worse).

I was right about:

Um. Not a whole hell of a lot. Miami definitely lost to Oklahoma. So that's one tiny feather in my cap.

This is what I deserved after an embarrassing week.

I was wrong about:

Miami's defense and Oklahoma's offense, and frankly everything else about that game. Look, everyone knew the inept Hurricanes weren't doing anything offensively. What was startling was how efficient the Oklahoma attack was, especially through the air. Bradford was coolly efficient, and his massive offensive line more than held their own against the heralded Miami defensive front. This was a rout. It could have been 100-7.

I was right about:

TCU hanging tough with Texas. That game unfolded exactly how I expected. The TCU defense was excellent, but their offense couldn't get it done. The score in this one is misleading, because Texas made some special teams plays late, and things got out of hand for TCU. I watched this game, and TCU gave Texas more than they could handle for three quarters.

I was wrong about:

Michigan. I was just wrong. Lloyd Carr deserves to be fired. It's that simple. I was wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong. Their defense is a joke, and they played without any heart. This is a team that has quit on its' coach. Even Jonathon Stewart called them out, by saying he saw that his opponents had given up in the middle of the game. Disgraceful.Maybe the Wolverines should be in time-out for awhile.
Teams who quit should be ashamed of themselves.



I was right about:

Pat White making the WVU offense go. He was electric, again, against Marshall.

I was wrong about:

LSU's offense, and Virginia Tech's defense. Wow. I was way off on this one. LSU was brutally efficient on offense, and simply embarrassed the Hokies. They could do whatever they wanted out there. Williams seemed to find himself, and Flynn is the kind of quarterback who simply makes the plays his team needs to win. LSU looks like the best team in the country right now, and its' their offensive-defensive balance that is most terrifying.

I was right about:

Oregon being a potential sleeper. Their defense was better than expected against a Michigan team that is loaded offensively. Their offense was absolutely ruthless out there. It's an impressive Pac-10 team that can go to the Big 10 and force their opponent into a west coast shootout.

I was wrong about:

South Carolina, at least this week. Spurrier IS the evil genius he is regarded to be. He is proving that he can win games with defense, which is a terrifying thought. Basically he wants the world to know that he can win in whichever way is necessary. So he gets a little more conservative offensively, and lets a seriously underrated defense steal the show. An impressive effort for South Carolina this week.

I was right about:

Dan Connor. Look, I'm grasping at straws here, since I had a terrible week. But Connor was absolutely fantastic in the dismantlement of Notre Dame. Also, the "white-out" at Penn St. was a sight to behold. The most recent proof that college football has it all over the pros. I mean, getting 110,000 fans to wear white shirts, let's just say it made similar efforts by the Miami Heat and San Jose Sharks look silly by comparison.

I was wrong about:

Just to reiterate: The LSU game, the Oklahoma game, the Oregon game, the South Carolina game. I mean I was WAY off on these ones. Pretty much everything about the games I totally blew. I was also off a little in the Texas game, although that score is deceiving. It was an embarrassing week, and we haven't mentioned my season predictions which are looking in a little bit of danger right now. Fortunately, I still have a chance to wait and see on those.

I was right about: South Florida. That win AT Auburn is a program builder. That is one of the most underrated stories in all of college football. A decade ago, South Florida would have had to play Auburn with their flag-football champions. Seriously, that is stunning.

This is the team that would have had to face Auburn a decade ago.

0 comments

Post a Comment

The Team

How's the look?