Student Body Right... Student Body Wrong...  

Posted by Frazier

First things first, what does everyone think about the new design?! I know, it's not quite perfect yet, but we think it's a hell of a lot better than the standardized layout we were using. However, since I've been burning away the hours on it, I haven't had time to post as much as I'd like (and you don't want to know how my "work" is coming). Anyways, it was a tough weekend for me. No excuses this time, I just blew a bunch of games. And now it gets to bowl season, where anything is possible. The long layoff favors some teams over others, causes some teams to totally lose momentum, injured players get healthy, and coaches either look over their shoulders or on to greener pastures. But, before we get to all that, we really have to take a look at what went down in a wild final weekend.

I was right about:

The Wake Forest game. I know I said there would be more points scored, but otherwise I think I was pretty close. The Deacons once again "found a way" and made the plays when they absolutely had to. Ball killed his team (yet again) and Johnson might be able to catch the balls, but there biggest problem is throwing them. Grobe may be a perfect fit for Wake, but any team with a vacancy would be crazy to overlook him.

I was wrong about:

Ugh, USC. They were pretty much embarrassing. I thought they had worked things out, but it's obvious they did not. Once again they totally disappeared for portions of the game, but this time UCLA's defense would not let them get away with it. They had an inspired effort on Saturday, and really rose to the challenge. Also, Booty needs to take better care of the ball. He has all the talent, but he still doesn't seem comfortable or confident, and he makes some real bonehead mistakes. In their two losses he had two batted balls in crucial situations, I don't think it's an accident, he just isn't doing a good job of focusing, finding his passing lanes, and making plays.

I was right about:

West Virginia staying focused. They desperately wanted to ruin Rutgers season, and they pulled it off. I was way off on my score, but I didn't know White would be out. If he had played, the final would probably have more accurately reflected my pick. Credit to the Mountaineers for playing tough, and finding a reason to care when it seemed like they had totally blown their season. Tough luck for Rutgers who went from the BCS to the Alamo Bowl, that was a travesty.

I was wrong about:

Florida. I was wrong. Ok, it's that simple. They won. They beat Arkansas, and they deserve the trip to Glendale. Now, I am a little worried they may totally shit the bed. It looked like they were on the ropes when the Hogs committed a ridiculous turnover in their own end zone and breathed life into Urban's boys. But they kept playing hard, and they held McFadden in check, which is absolutely unbelievable. They are tougher than I'd thought, although Leak isn't exactly the guy who want in a huge game. Also, Urban looked lost there for awhile with questionable play calling and burning his second half timeouts in the third quarter of a tight scrape. Still, I am eating some crow today. I hate to admit it.

Mmmmmm, lunch!

I was right about:

Oklahoma winning the Big 12. Incredible job by Stoops, and a gutsy effort from the Sooners. Oh, and Nebraska is still a disaster.

I was wrong about:

Nebraska. They just can't deliver. They had the ball numerous times in the first half starting in Oklahoma territory, and they couldn't get any offense together. Added to almost a half-dozen turnovers that spells disaster. Callahan is atrocious.

I was right about:

Oregon St. beating Hawaii. The Beavers have played hard this year, have been very good recently, and can score some points when necessary. I was not at all surprised that they won this thing. Hawaii is a great story, but it's hard to play a solid team like the Beavers when most of your opponents are completely blown away by your offensive barrage.

I was wrong about:

That stupid UNH game. Look, who fucking knew? I am furious this game is going to be reflected on my season record. Sometimes the big man pisses me off.

0 comments

Post a Comment

The Team

How's the look?